Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"In a two-person race, I like my chances"

Romney: ‘In a two-person race, I like my chances’

By Klaus Marre
Posted: 01/30/08 11:53 AM [ET]
Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney said Wednesday that he looks forward to a head-to-head battle for the Republican presidential nomination with Sen. John McCain (Ariz.).

Coming off a solid but disappointing second-place finish in Florida Tuesday, Romney vowed to carry on.

“We’re finally getting where we wanted to be, and that is to have a two-person race,” Romney said on Fox News, adding, “In a two-person race, I like my chances.”

Romney acknowledged that the continued presence of Mike Huckabee in the race is a problem for him and made the point that the former Arkansas governor is no longer a contender.

“I don’t know what kind of support Mike Huckabee will get going forward,” Romney said. “I think conservatives recognize that a vote for Mike Huckabee right now really means a vote for John McCain. So that may have them re-think that.”

No comments: